Sunday 15 December 2013

JUST IN: Safari on Mac OS exposes web login credentials

JUST IN: Safari on Mac OS exposes web login credentials
JUST IN: Safari on Mac OS exposes web login credentials, Last month I posted my top 10 smartphones for the holiday season and wanted to look back through the entire year to see what other devices grabbed my attention.

As I was looking through the phones I have tried all year, some of my earlier opinions changed and in some cases phones that I ranked lower on my seasonal ratings have changed with extended usage.

We all have different opinions on what is the best, but I think most people will agree with the phones I selected even if they don't agree with the particular order of my rankings.

Number 1: HTC One
I frequently swap my SIM into different phones and it is rare for me to ever use a single phone for six months or more. Thus, I must rank the HTC One my top smartphone of the year and until about a month ago it was the best smartphone I have ever used.

The hardware is fantastic, HTC has done a great job updating the OS to the latest and greatest while also updating its Sense UI, you can pick it up in various colors, and it can be found for a good deal (as low as $50 with contract) with rumors of a successor launching in early 2014.

Number 2: Moto X

This is one phone that I had ranked lower in earlier articles, but after extended use it truly is the 'iPhone' of the Android world and Motorola has shown an unprecedented ability to update it to the latest Android OS within weeks of launch. I just recently customized my Moto X with my Twitter handle and preferred colors and it was the phone to finally steal the SIM from my HTC One.

The in-hand feel, high quality construction, excellent custom Motorola functions (active notifications, Moto Assist, and touchless controls), personalization options, and reasonable price for an unlocked device make the Moto X one of the top devices of the year.

It didn't launch as low as we expected it to and compete with the Nexus pricing scheme, but Motorola has dropped it $100 and also offered a couple of $150 specials. In my opinion, it is worth the full price and I encourage people not to be afraid of the specifications.

Number 3: Apple iPhone 5s

Every year Apple releases a new iPhone and the iPhone 5s is clearly the best iPhone released to date. The improved processor, camera, and fingerprint-enabled Touch ID make it a compelling smartphone.

As smartphone displays grow larger, it is nice to still have an extremely pocketable smartphone with the iPhone 5s. While Android gets most of the newest apps and services, iOS still has an advantage here as most companies release iOS apps first and that is why I need one in my collection.

Number 4: Google Nexus 5

LG's Nexus 5 was leaked well in advance of its release and it sold out quickly as soon as it appeared on Halloween. LG did a great job with the Nexus 5 and it is one of the best Android smartphones available today.

The Nexus 5 has the latest and greatest internal specifications, including a Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB RAM, 8 megapixel camera with optical image stabilization, Qi wireless charging, and more.

Google has released a couple of software updates for the camera to improve its performance and it likely will continue to get updated and improved over time. I personally prefer the Moto X customizations and design, but the Nexus 5 is the next on my list of Android smartphones. It is available at a great price too.

Number 5: Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Samsung throws everything, but the kitchen sink, in the Galaxy Note 3 and I found the experience both rewarding and frustrating. It is an incredible device for the road warrior with a large replaceable battery, expandable storage, and a display that functions like a small tablet.

I found it to be too large for regular usage, but if you are a person who uses the S Pen then there is no other device that can beat the stylus experience. The improved Galaxy Gear and Note 3 make a great combo and I would still have them if there weren't so many other great devices competing for my attention.

Disqus Shortname

Comments system

Ad Inside Post