Saturday 7 June 2014

Athena Orchard: Millions of people worldwide inspired by teenage cancer victim's message on mirror

Athena Orchard: Millions of people worldwide inspired by teenage cancer victim's message on mirror



Athena Orchard: Millions of people worldwide inspired by teenage cancer victim's message on mirror, The poignant words written by a dying teenage cancer victim on the back of her bedroom mirror have touched the hearts and minds of millions of people worldwide.

The 1,000-word message written by 13-year-old Athena Orchard, of New Parks, Leicester, has become headline news all over the world.

Newspapers, websites and television channels in many countries have retold the Mercury’s story of Athena’s message from beyond the grave.

Athena’s mum, Caroline Orchard, said she felt proud and humbled that her daughter’s words have touched and inspired so many.

Caroline, 37, said: “We have lost a very special person in Athena but this amazing reaction gives us a little comfort.

“On the one hand I am surprised her words can touch people all over the world but on the other one it does not surprise me.

“Her words are innocent and beautiful and came from the heart and mind of a young girl who knew she was dying.

“I don’t think anyone can read her message and not be touched.”

The schoolgirl died at home on May 28, after battling cancer for several months.

After her death, Caroline and Athena’s father, Dean, 33, found the message hidden on the back of her bedroom mirror, which detailed her feelings about life, death and love.

Part of the secret note, scribbled in black marker pen, said: “Every day is special, so make the most of it.

“You could get a life-ending illness tomorrow so make the most of every day.

“Life is only bad if you make it bad.”

Caroline said she and her eldest daughter Ria, 17, had seen the messages from all over the world on various social media networks.

She said: “It has been incredible and magical. Every time we looked on Twitter or Facebook there was just another story or someone else quoting Athena’s words.”

The family have turned their living room into “Athena’s Room”.

Caroline said: “Athena came out of hospital in April and we all knew she did not have that long to live.

“She was so positive to the end that it was incredible.

“She died in the room, surrounded by all her family, and there was so much love in there I have to try to preserve that.

“I now sleep in the room because it makes me feel closer to her.

“All her stuff is still in here and, of course, the mirror takes pride of place.

“It is not morbid it is positive – a place where we can all feel a little closer to Athena.”

Athena was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a form of bone cancer, at the age of 12, after collapsing just before Christmas in the kitchen at home.

She had an emergency seven-and-a-half hour operation to remove a tumour on her spine, followed by months of chemotherapy targeting the cancer in her spine, shoulder and head.

Athena lost her hair and much of her strength – but not her positive outlook.

Part of her message on the back of the mirror says: “Happiness depends upon ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending, maybe it’s about the story.

“The purpose of life is a life of purpose. The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”

Caroline said Athena celebrated her 13th birthday in March with a big party at New Parks Social Club.

She said: “She was a big fan of the TV show The Only Way Is Essex so we went to the shop run by a couple of the cast in Brentwood.

“Athena bought an outfit and got to meet Harry from Towie. She was loving it.

“She was poorly but managed to summon the strength to go to the party at night. She was probably the first person to leave when she went home at 10 o’clock.

“Athena was shattered but she had a smile on her face. She told me she was delighted to finally be a teenager.

“I told her she had been acting like one most of her life. We hugged each other and laughed so much.”

People have left floral tributes outside the family home and friends and relatives have written on the window of the house.

Caroline said: “Athena’s dad started it by drawing an angel on the window with a marker pen.

“His friend filled it in with coloured pens and it went from there. In a way, it echoes how Athena left her mark.”

Athena, who leaves behind six sisters and three brothers – Naysa, one, Letissia-Dior, two, Indika-Mayah, four, Tiana, five, Harley, eight, Porscha and Ethan, 11, Clayton, 14, and Ria, 17 – also wrote movingly about love.

Her words, on the mirror, say: “I’m waiting to fall in love with someone I can open my heart to.

“Love is rare, life is strange, nothing lasts and people change.”

Caroline said: “I will treasure those amazing words and the mirror forever. The words are timeless. It is Athena’s legacy.”

Athena’s funeral will take place on June 12 at Gilroes Cemetery in Leicester.

'Her story is really incredible... It's gone totally wild and been shared all over the place'

Since the Mercury told the story of Athena's heartbreaking posthumous message this week, her last words have become a global phenomenon.

Newspapers, websites and television channels in the UK, Germany, United States and Australia are among many around the world to have taken up the story.

Meena Duerson, senior editor at US network NBC's Today programme, filmed in New York, said: "I originally saw the story picked up by the Telegraph and then just kept seeing it and seeing it.

"It's so moving – really incredible. I know it's gone totally wild and been shared all over the place."

America's Fox 8 news also published the tale.

The service's executive producer, Scott Gustin, said the story had reached more than 300,000 via its Facebook page and inspired more than 3,000 comments and messages of support and sadness at Athena's death.

The family have received numerous messages from people who were moved by the teenager's actions.

Artist Mathew Worcester, from Tiffin, in Ohio, USA, has offered his talents as an artist to preserve the mirror.

He said: "I was blown away about the notes she left behind on the back of the mirror.

"I am a very talented artist and woodworker. I would like to extend my services to the family – for free.

"Their mirror should be a token they keep with them for the rest of their lives.

"If they are willing, I would like to preserve the mirror in a way that it will be with the family for some time – either by insetting the mirror into a table, or sealing it and turning it into a piece that is hung on a wall, whatever they like."

Chris Adams, from Connecticut, in the US, e-mailed the Mercury to offer his condolences to Athena's parents and siblings and said the message was "profound".

He said: "I was deeply moved by your article, which has quickly made its way to the US on the internet.

"The loss of a child to a parent is the most horrible thing to imagine, but her wisdom seems to be a gift possibly heightened by her condition.

"Regardless, her words recorded on the mirror are profound.

"I would like to see her last messages recorded into a book of sorts and made for sale to the public via Amazon.

"Maybe some of the proceeds can go to cancer research.

"I know many, many people would gladly purchase a book of her quotes – her own version of The Last Lecture."

Professor Steve Cifelli, of the University of Redlands, California, said: "I teach graduate-level students who desire a counselling master's degree to work with children in school grades kindergarten through grade 12 and some at college level.

"I have been a school counsellor, school psychologist and volunteered many years for the Make-A-Wish Foundation on a personal and professional basis.

"I think the words Athena wrote – that I only saw a glimpse of – would be very special if I could share them with my students and her brave story."

Transcript of Athena's message

Happiness depends upon ourselves. Maybe it’s not about the happy ending but about the story.

The purpose of life is a life of purpose.

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Happiness is a direction, not a destination.

Thank you for existing.

Be happy, be free, believe, forever young.

You know my name, not my story.

You have heard what I’ve done but not what I’ve been through.

Love is like glass, looks so lovely but it’s so easy to shatter.

Love is rare, life is strange, nothing lasts and people change.

Every day is special so make the most of it.

You could get a life-ending illness tomorrow so make the most of every day.

Life is only bad if you make it bad.

If someone loves you then they wouldn’t let you slip away no matter how hard the situation is.

Remember that life is full of ups and downs.

Without the downs the ups wouldn’t mean anything.

It’s unbelievable how fast people can change.

One day you mean everything to them but the next day you don’t mean anything so you don’t exist anymore.

If you judge me then you have no time to love me.

You can love or hate me - I swear it won’t make or break me.

Make-up is directly proportional to insecurity - the more make-up you have on means you’re more insecure.

I hate being second to those I put first.

I miss you even more when I try to act like I don’t care.

Why does life have to get so complicated ?

I don’t chase after anyone any more.

If you want to walk out of my life I’ll hold the fucking door open for you !

Girls see EVERYTHING !!

Most of them just don’t say anything.

Invisible tears are the hardest to wipe away.

Only a best friend can see the pain behind a fake smile.

I may not be perfect but at least I’m not fake.

If it doesn’t break your heart then it isn’t love.

Don’t say you love me unless you mean it because I might do something stupid like believe it.

A girl just wants to find that guy who will prove her that they’re not all the same.

No-one understands what we have been through.

It’s hard to tell your mind to stop loving someone when your heart still does.

Never give up on something you can’t go a day without thinking about.

I want to be that girl who makes your bad days better and the one that makes you say:

“My life has changed since I met her !”

Just because you didn’t mean to do it doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt.

Don’t hold on to someone that’s not afraid to let you go.

You can spend your whole life holding on or you can show that idiot who broke your heart what he’s missing.

I love it when you’re around so please stay near.

When I’m with you it seems like I’m dreaming.

Forever is a long time but I wouldn’t mind spending it by your side.

I really fucking like you.

Just thinking about you makes me smile.

“She loves him, he loves her.”

Ever since I met you no-one else has been worth thinking about.

Everyone has their own reasons for waking up in the morning and mine is you.

Wouldn’t it be the perfect crime if you stole my heart and I stole yours ?

I will always love you.

I just want you to know that when I picture myself happy it’s with you.

I’m all yours. Can you be mine forever ?

It’s not my fault you’re stuck in my thoughts.

Even if I had a million reasons to leave you I’d still find one to stay.

ILOVEYOU.

I wrote it with no spaces so there’s no room for anyone else.

You make my life complete.

Without you, baby, I’m lost.

Everything so far has been perfect.

But would you believe me if I said that I go shy and that my heart seems to race.

Love is true when it comes from the heart not the mouth.

This love is difficult but it’s real.

He’s not perfect but he’s all I want.

Love is not about how much you say “I love you” it’s about how much you can prove it’s true.

It’s not my fault I’m addicted to you.

I love you - that’s as real as it gets.

His and hers (heart-shape).

Love is like the wind - you can feel it but you can’t see it.

I’m still in love with you because when it’s real it doesn’t fade.

I’m waiting to fall in love with someone I can open my heart to.

Love is not about who you can see spending your future with, it’s about who you can’t see spending your life without.

Life is a game for everyone but love is the prize.

Only I can judge me,

In the end they will judge me anyway, so whatever.

To be honest, who asked you to judge me ?

Don’t be too quick to judge me. You only see what I choose to show you.

Judging a person doesn’t define what they are, it defines what you are.

Don’t judge me, you don’t know the truth.

Baby, no matter what I do, you know I’m crazy over you.

I just want to have fun and be happy without being judged.

I’m tired of the world telling me what to do and trying to live up to everyone’s expectations.

FUCK OFF - this is my life not yours, don’t worry about what I do.

If you don’t know, ask me.

If you don’t agree, then argue with me.

If you don’t like it, then say it to me.

But don’t keep silent and judge me.

People gunna hate you, rate you, break you but how strong you that’s what makes you ... you.

Baby, you get my heart jumping when you put your lips on mine.

Sometimes love hurts.

Now I’m fighting myself.

Baby I can feel your pain.

Dreams are my reality.

It hurts, but it’s okay, I’m used to it.

Why do people take advantage of my love ?

Your shadow everywhere I go.

Baby go got me.

You’re an adventure so let me come and explore you.

I hate how much I love you.

There’s no need to cry because I know you’ll be by my side.

I can change, even if I tried, even if I wanted to.

If I loose you then I’ll loose who I gave my life to.

Disqus Shortname

Comments system

Ad Inside Post